Saturday, February 19, 2022

Genre Research

 Drama Research

Slowly but surely, I'm straying away from the action and thriller genre and moving towards drama. I really want to use that emotional element to the story and I think it could work out pretty well. That being said, I can still take some inspiration and ideas from the country genre to help me in my drama film. I want to do some research on the drama genre so I know how to really build an emotional element in the story.

After researching sub-genres of drama, I think I want to make my film a psychological drama, also knowns as dark drama. I may also want to combine that with the psychological thriller genre. Combining drama and thriller with a psychological element honestly sounds like something I would watch.

Psych Thriller - common themes: death, existence/purpose, identity, mind, perception, and reality. psych thrillers often focus on story, character development, choice, and moral conflict according to director John Madden. Characters usually deal with an internal battle, oftentimes including mental health issues like depression and anxiety. Psych thriller is a bit different than psych drama because thriller includes more plot twists, it's a bit more action-based and just a bit more exciting than drama.

Psych Drama - psych drama is a sub-genre that emphasizes psychological elements. It is very common for psych drama and psych thriller to intersect with each other so I am pretty confident that the continuity of the plot won't be compromised. Psych drama typically includes a more mature and serious tone. It typically explores more thematic elements like abandonment, denialism, mental disorders, and social issues. 

After researching, my idea for my project fits pretty well into my genre. The whole idea of two people who handle a breakup differently could definitely fall into psych drama and thriller. Nothing is set in stone, but I think this is the route I want to take.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Episode Final Submission - Marshall Hunt

 After 9 weeks, I have finally finished my film opening. Here is my 2-minute film opening for Episode https://drive.google.com/file/d/162QZ-...