Sunday, February 27, 2022

Research and Tips

 I wanted to research the psychological thriller genre a bit more because I'm not entirely familiar with the genre. I found a website that gave me some really good examples and tips to help give me inspiration for my film. The website URL is https://www.masterclass.com/articles/how-to-write-a-psychological-thriller#3-elements-of-a-good-psychological-thriller and it has a bunch of tips and ideas, backed up by examples to help me fully understand the genre. One tip that really caught my eye was to "craft situations where characters are unable to get the information or tools they need". Instead of using unaccessible tools or information, my film opening involves a girl that the main character is unable to be with. Because the guy is unable to continue to be with his girlfriend, he is overrun with emotions and acts very irrationally, and creates impactful and emotional scenarios for many scenes.



Another tip that gave me some inspiration was to build a backstory. I wanted to help build my character's backstory by using flashbacks and memories to help the audience understand why he is acting a certain way. Without any kind of backstory or representation of memories, my film opening would be very hard to understand and wouldn't make as much sense. I believe that it is very important to build a stable structure and backstory for the character so that they can continue to grow as the story progresses. I love the idea of character development, and although I only have about 2 minutes for my film opening, I think it is very possible to be able to build a background for my character and show the progressive development that he goes through. I wanted to focus a lot on the emotions of my character as a part of the background and I want the audience to be able to notice how his emotions change as time moves on.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Episode Final Submission - Marshall Hunt

 After 9 weeks, I have finally finished my film opening. Here is my 2-minute film opening for Episode https://drive.google.com/file/d/162QZ-...