Saturday, March 5, 2022

Character Development

 My film is going to fall into the psychological thriller genre so I know that character development is incredibly important and can become quite complex. I wanted to research some tips or ideas on how to really build my character's personality. Characters are almost always introduced in the opening of a film and this is the time when the audience gets a "first impression" of the character. To get some help, I used this website which gave me some extra help. One of the most important tips/ideas I noticed was to give the character a purpose and inner conflict.


This idea of giving my character some sort of purpose or conflict can help me build the story for the future. Giving my character some kind of battle to fight, which in this case is emotions, helps build his character because it shows how he deals with conflict and how his actions reflect on who he is. 

As I noted earlier, I think it is very important to create a very detailed and well preformed first impression of my character. My character only gets one introduction to the audience so it is very important that it is shown well.  The costume, mannerisms, tone of voice, and facial expressions can help me build an idea of my character's personality. I wanted to show my character with some kind of emotional battle, something like bipolar disorder, so this first impression could make or break the rest of my opening.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Episode Final Submission - Marshall Hunt

 After 9 weeks, I have finally finished my film opening. Here is my 2-minute film opening for Episode https://drive.google.com/file/d/162QZ-...